Can elimination diets help migraines? A trial involving 30 people with migraines found that tailoring diet to IgG testing (which is ordered by private labs and usually self-pay for patients) did reduce headache frequency. 1 • There is not a lot of research so far, but elimination diets may also be worth considering for abdominal and menstrual migraines.
What food should migraine sufferers avoid? Foods that have tyramine in them, such as aged cheeses (like blue cheese or Parmesan), soy, smoked fish, and Chianti wine. Alcohol, especially red wine. Caffeine, which is in coffee, chocolate, tea, colas, and other sodas. Foods made with nitrates, such as pepperoni, hot dogs, and lunchmeats.
What is the best diet for someone with migraines?
- Aim for half of your grains to be whole grains. Whole grains have more fiber and vitamins.
- Aim for increasing fruit and vegetable intake. Half your plate should be fruits and vegetables, every time!
- Aim to eat healthy fats, not low fat.
- Limit sodium to less than 2300 mg/day.
What foods trigger migraines?
- Baked goods with yeast, such as sourdough bread, bagels, doughnuts, and coffee cake.
- Cultured dairy products (like yogurt and kefir)
- Fruits or juices such as citrus fruits, dried fruits, bananas, raspberries, red plums, papayas, passion fruit, figs, dates, and avocados.